John Breslin Joins Former Colleague, and Serial Tech Entrepreneur to Launch First Streaming Newsreader App on the iPad
Boards.ie co-founder and DERI researcher, John Breslin, has launched StreamGlider today, a next-generation multimedia newsreader that competes with Pulse and Flipboard on the iPad, but is the first streaming newsreader app.
The company says, StreamGlider provides a new way to distribute content to various platforms. It pulls and plays any kind of content (text, video, photos, music, social media, RSS, APIs), enabling new mashups, real-time slideshows, filters, search and gestures. Currently it is launched on the iPad, with future versions for other tablets, phones, PCs and even TVs in planning.
According to the company, StreamGlider goes beyond other newsreaders by allowing users to manage their streams of content in three different modes: a grid newsreader mode featuring StreamGlider's multi-stream news ticker, a media magazine mode, and a real-time slideshow mode. One of the differences between StreamGlider and other newsreaders is that brands can private label the StreamGlider system and distribute it themselves with their own content to their audiences.
John Breslin (pictured above) founded StreamGlider with Nova Spivack, a former software engineer turned serial tech investor, and Bill McDaniel, who started his professional career in 1975 as a mainframe programmer in 1975, was a scientist at Adobe and eventually a researcher at the Digital Enterprise Research Institute where he met Breslin whilst working on Semantic Web projects.
Breslin said: "StreamGlider has been in development for over a year-and-a-half. We believe that we have something unique here that no other newsreader offers. Our stream editor allows users to mix their own streams of content that then glide across the screen. So you could compose a sports stream from feeds about GAA, Formula 1 and rugby, and have that gliding alongside a stream made up of computer games, technology and movie content.
But you can then share your stream mixes with friends, a bit like the way people shared mix tapes of their favourite songs in the 80's."
Use StreamGlider to:
- Keep up with developing news and interests in real-time
- Browse and read through interactive magazine content
- Show live interactive slideshows of photos, videos, news, and even social updates from Facebook and Twitter
- Share news and content with your friends, customers, or teams
- Distribute your own custom branded newsreader to your audience or customers
- Real-time streams - Content flows in and ticks by as it becomes available in real-time
- More ways to view your streams - As live tickers, as magazines, and even as a slideshow
- Powerful search and filtering - Create streams that find particular content, just the way you want it
- Mashups - Create streams that combine content from multiple sources (like your top 5 news sources in one stream)
- More types of streams - Create streams for subjects or sources, as you wish; built in support for RSS, YouTube, Flickr, Google Reader, Twitter and Facebook
- Stream sharing - Share articles and even entire streams with your friends, and followers
StreamGlider is available in two versions, Lite and Pro, and can be downloaded from the App Store on the iPad, or via www.streamglider.com/download
Get Instant Irish Tech News Updates....